Pullman Sandwich Bread
If you’re a fan of sandwiches, then you know that the bread is just as important as the filling. A good sandwich bread should be soft, yet sturdy enough to hold all of your toppings without falling apart. One of the best types of bread for sandwiches is Pullman bread, also known as “pan bread” or “sandwich bread.”
- 1kg Strong (bread) flour
- 700 grams water
- 20 grams salt
- 10 grams instant yeast
- 35 grams Beef Dripping
- Combine yeast with all of the warm milk and all of the honey and stir. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to bloom the yeast. When done, the top layer of the liquid should be covered in foam and bubbles.
- Mix all of the flour and salt with the bloomed yeast mixture and water. When the mixture is mostly incorporated add in the butter and continue to mix until fully incorperated.
- Knead dough for 6 minutes, form into a ball and let rest for 3 minutes uncovered. Return and knead for 3 to 5 more minutes. Dough should be smooth and elastic. Form into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl to rise.
- Cover dough with a towel or plastic wrap and let rise for 1 to 1.5 hours at room temperature.
- Degas dough and place the oily side down on a non-floured work surface. If the dough is overly sticky, then use a light dusting of flour on your work surface.
- Stretch dough into a rectangle so that it is the length of your 13 inch pan. Roll the dough up and place it in a lightly oiled Pullman pan to rise.
- Cover the pan with a towel or plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes to 1 hour at room temp or until the dough is roughly an inch from the top of the pan.
- Preheat your oven to 190° C, oil your lid and place it on the pan.
- Bake your loaf for 45 minutes. If you would like, place a digital thermometer into the center of your loaf to ensure it is done. The bread should register 87° C.
- Open pan lid a little less than halfway and let cool on your counter for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and gently dump the loaf out of your pan onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. Enjoy!
Enjoy your homemade Pullman sandwich bread with your favorite sandwich fillings!
- You can also make this bread with a stand mixer with dough hook attachments. Simply add all ingredients to the mixing bowl and let the mixer knead the dough for you.
- You can also add some seeds, herbs or dried fruits to the bread dough as you like.
- If you don't have a Pullman pan, you can use a regular loaf pan and get similar results, although the shape of the bread may be slightly different.